The importance of getting a win on first down for an offense was underscored in the game against the Jacksonville Jaguars. A win on first down is a basic building block for having a successful offense.
In the first half the Steelers had 13 1st and 10 opportunities. Five of those were wins (4-yards or more), and produced at least 1 other first down. Of the 8 they did not get wins (less than 4-yards), 5 produced at least 1 first down.
Of the 3 1st and 10 opportunities that did not produce at least 1 first down, 1 produced a FG, 1 a missed FG, and 1 a punt.
Seems rather unimportant at this point doesn’t it?
In the second half, there were 8 1st and 10 opportunities. Four were wins and notched up at least 1 first down. Of the 4 that produced less than 4-yards, no first downs were achieved.
The difference? In the first half the Steelers were able to come through on their their 2nd and long opportunities to position themselves for 5 makeable 3rd downs (3rd and 4-yards or less), but only were able to do that 3 times in the second half.
Winning on first down is not a be-all barometer, just another sign of the health of an offense.
Craig’s BioCraig Wolfley is a 12-year veteran of the NFL who played 10 years with the Pittsburgh Steelers and 2 years with the Minnesota Vikings. [read more]
Shults Ford Promo
Steelers Cruise 2014
Tunch & Wolf’s 2014 Walk for the Homeless
Support Our Sponsors
Click Logo's Below to Visit Our Sponsors
Blog Story Categories
- Behind the Scenes
- Family Life
- Fan Stories
- Fun & Interesting
- Head/Brain Injury News
- High School Football
- Light of Life Ministries
- Martial Arts | MMA
- NFL News (Other)
- Personal Interviews
- Physical Fitness | Training
- Pittsburgh Power
- Radio Shows
- Sports (Non NFL)
- Steelers Training Camp
- Tunch & Wolf
- Craig Wolfley Podcast w/ Special Guest “The Bus”, Jerome Bettis | 03-06-2014
- Jerome Bettis Bus Stops Here Foundation Presents “Bowl with the Bus”
- Craig Wolfley Podcast w/ Guest Kevin Cornell, 2016 Olympic Hopeful | 03-01-2014
- Craig Wolfley Podcast w/ Special Guest Alan Faneca | 2-27-2014
- Save the Date! Join Some Pittsburgh Sports Favorites “For Men Only” at Stage AE on March 29
- Craig Wolfley Podcast | Steelers, NFL & More | 02-20-14
- Tunch & Wolf’s Walk for the Homeless 2014